One of the most popular drinks in the world, Bloody Marys have been around for centuries. These tomato-based cocktails are perfect to sip on at brunch, lunch, or dinner. But what really sets a Bloody apart from a regular drink is all the different garnishes you can add to it.
From bacon to olives to celery salt, there are endless options. Here are some of our favorite garnishes and how they can take your Bloody Mary from good to great!
The Bloody Mary
Cocktail: Bloody Mary Ingredients
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp raw tomato juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 2 tbsp olive brine (recipe below)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1⁄4 tsp red pepper flakes Fountain tomato
- Cut in quarters Directions Juice lime and 1 tbsp tomato juice and reserve 1 tbsp for the salad dressing
- Build a bowl using 1 tbsp tomato juice and 1 tbsp horseradish, 2 tbsp olive brine, remaining tomato juice, remaining olive brine, and celery salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rub tomato, mustard and horseradish into a lime wedge until you see juice.
- Shake 1 tbsp olive brine into a mason jar and then drop the lime into the mason jar and seal.
Basic Bloody Mary Recipe
- 2 tablespoons brown or dark beer
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 lime
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 dozen ice cubes
- In a medium bowl, combine the beer, butter, celery salt, black pepper, kosher salt, ground black pepper, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, and lime juice. Mix well.
- Add in the tomato juice and 1/2 the lime juice. Mix well.
- Strain into a large pitcher.
- Add in the remaining lime juice and ice cubes. Stir.
- Garnish with scallions.
Traditional Bloody Mary Recipe
Start with a couple of ingredients. Olive or tomato sauce, Tabasco, tomato juice and a little cocktail sauce. Mix in a bottle of vodka and a pound or two of tomato pulp. Now add some to the mix! Now, remember when you were a kid and you used to take chunks of lime and squeeze it into your bloody? Add a little of that citrus to give your drink a fresh taste and fresh color. Add a touch of heat with sriracha or another hot sauce. Add a kick with horseradish. Try our bright pineapple Bloody Mary for a delicious twist! Chop up some celery. Cleanly chop about 6 stalks. Heat a little olive oil in a skillet, then add the chopped celery stalks. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat, then remove the celery from the pan.
House Bloody Mary Recipe
First up, of course, are the tomato-based ingredients. Many Bloody Mary recipes call for high-quality V8 juice, vodka, olive juice, and fresh lime juice. Some, however, go the extra step and use crab or avocado juice instead of tomato juice. Where to Get: V8 Naturals® Tomato Juice 2. Bacon If you’re not a fan of the traditional Bloody Mary, then adding a slab of bacon to your drink is the perfect solution! This recipe from GoBoldFood.com has all the ingredients you need and it’s easier than it looks. Just start with a fresh piece of bacon and munch it down as you prepare the rest of the recipe. You can even make it a brunch party game with some friends and see how long you can eat before sharing!
Tomato Juice Bloody Mary Recipe
1 cucumber, cut into chunks 1 green bell pepper, julienned 1 (15 ounce) can sliced olives, drained 1 teaspoon celery salt 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1 (15 ounce) can red/green tomato juice 1/2 cup vodka 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Combine all the ingredients, except for the vodka, in a medium size bowl. Toss to combine. Add the vodka and Worcestershire sauce and stir. Serve in a mug or large shot glass. Garlic Egg Bloody Mary 1 large hard-boiled egg 1 (6 ounce) can smoked gouda cheese, crumbled 1 (14 ounce) can tomato juice 1/4 cup hot sauce 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper Stir together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Serve in a large mason jar with a lid.
1. Thin slices of cooked bacon – These thin strips of bacon pair well with a lot of foods, but they’re especially delicious with a Bloody Mary. Bacon adds a nice smoky flavor, and it doesn’t add too much to the drink. This tip is great for guests at your brunch gathering. Make sure that you’re setting aside a few strips of bacon just for this recipe. 2. Pickled olives – Pickled olives are great in a Bloody Mary, but they’re also fantastic on their own. If you’ve got a jar of pickled olives at home, this is a good time to use it! These have a pretty strong garlic flavor, which is one of the best ingredients you can add to a Bloody Mary. 3. Bacon salt – If you’re making your own Bloody Marys, make bacon salt. A tube of spicy sausage is loaded with salt for a delicious seasoning.
Bacon Olive Garnish
Bacon Olive Garnish (photo courtesy of Refinery29) If you’re not into the salt-bacon combo, this is the garnish for you. Simply chop up a big slice of bacon and add a few olive slices for a little crunch. Smear it on top of your Bloody Mary like so: Bacon Olive Garnish (photo courtesy of Refinery29)
Celery Salt and Olive Grains (photo courtesy of Refinery29) Not sure if you should add celery salt to your Bloody? Refinery29 consulted with an expert: “With celery salt, it’s nice to have a hard-boiled egg on the side because it balances the salty and savory with a little acidity from the celery. This garnish can be combined with celery salt, fresh lemon juice, and olive oil, or olive oil and Dijon mustard.
Salt and Pepper Garnish
The only condiments you should use with a Bloody are salt and pepper. It helps the drink retain its juices, and it gives it a bit of a kick. Mix one-fourth of a teaspoon salt with a quarter teaspoon of pepper and then mix it with your liquid of choice. You can do this with multiple liquids for each garnish!
Try different salt and pepper combos to find the right ones for you! Traditionally, a Bloody Mary is served with horseradish and a pickled vegetable, but why not get creative and incorporate even more flavors into it? One of our favorites is cucumber gazpacho. It’s just the right blend of cold and hot that will remind you of a gazpacho soup. Just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and stir in a few pieces of pickled veggies! 2.
Celery Salt Garnish
Celery salt is a natural seasoning and a perfect addition to a Bloody Mary because it adds just the right amount of savory-sweet flavor.
A traditional Bloody Mary garnish, the salami is a simple, yet flavorful addition to your drink.
Sliced thinly and fried, salami has a salty and savory flavor and can be added to anything for an exciting new take on a classic.
Pickled Onions Garnish It’s hard to go wrong with pickled onions. They add sweetness and a good bit of crunch. Salted Peppers Garnish For a super-fresh and exciting take on the Bloody Mary garnish, sprinkle salted pepper on top.
If you love a good side of blue cheese, this is the garnish for you! A simple dip, the blue cheese really hits the spot. Plus, it looks amazing.
What’s the best way to drink your Bloody Mary? It really depends on what you like in your Bloody Mary! Mix up the garnishes, but make sure to not overload your drink with an overwhelming number of garnishes